Claims for compensation can only be made by the person the information is about or by the person who owns the object that was damaged as a result of information being processed or used in a manner that violated the rules for processing of information.

You can also claim compensation for non-pecuniary damage. Compensation for non-pecuniary damage is only awarded if it can be documented that the damage was caused by errors or neglect on part of the police.

If you have been charged in a criminal case, you will have to make your claim for compensation in accordance with the Criminal Procedure Act chapter 31.

How can I claim compensation?

There must be a correlation between your claim for compensation and the financial loss you suffered due to the illegal processing of the information.

  • Your claim for compensation must therefore document your financial loss and show how this loss was a result of the police's illegal processing of information about you. The claim must also document the amount lost.
  • Your claim for compensation must be in writing and signed.
  • The claim for compensation must be made within three years.

Where should I send the claim for compensation?

Your claim should be sent to the police district or agency that you believe committed the illegal processing.

The data controller for the database in question will consider the claim for compensation.

Appealing the decision

If your claim for compensation is rejected or you are dissatisfied with the amount awarded in compensation, you can appeal the decision.

Legislation relating to compensation:

The rules relating to compensation are set out in section 45 of the Police Databases Act and chapter 19 of the Police Database Regulations.