The National Police Directorate:
- Implements the government's law enforcement policies.
- Manages law enforcement regulations and funding.
- Advises the Ministry of Justice and Public Security, the police service, other public sector organisations, external partners and the public on law enforcement issues.
- Leads, organises and develops the Norwegian police service.
The National Police Directorate leads the development of the police service in Norway. It is responsible for both the way the police service is organised and its expertise. The National Police Directorate helps the police by:
- Analysing crime
- Coordinating resources
- Developing policing methods, leadership and expertise
The National Police Directorate provides expert help and support to police districts and specialist police units, the Ministry of Justice and Public Security and other partners. This support is important for maintaining a decentralised police service in Norway.