Applying for a residence permit
You can apply for a residence permit to work, study, reunify with family members or under the au pair scheme.
The various types of residence permits you can apply for can be found at the website of the Directorate of Immigration.
How to apply:
Register your application in the application portal and make an appointment with the police to submit your documents.
You can submit your application to the police here
Work in Norway?
Workinnorway.no is a step-by-step guide to working or doing business in Norway - how to find a job, get registered, tax and reporting, social security, etc.
- Renewal of your residence permit
Apply for a renewal of your residence permit well in advance of the expiry date:
- Check how long you have to wait for an appointment with your local police district, so that you can submit your application at least one month before your residence permit expires.
- If you have a renewable residence permit, you can stay in Norway while your application is being processed, as long as you apply for a renewal at least one month before the residence permit expires.
At the website of the Directorate of Immigration, you can apply for renewal of various types of residence permits. You can also apply for renewal of your immigrant's passport and travel document there.
How to apply for renewal:
- Find the information about renewal of your permit at udi.no and select the type of residence permit you wish to renew.
If your application for renewal is granted, you will need to make an appointment with the police to take a photo for the new residence card. If the renewed permit is for a child under the age of three, you must bring a photo of the child to the appointment.
- Permanent residence permit
If you are a citizen of a country that is not in the EU/EEA and have been staying in Norway for more than three years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit.
A permanent residence permit allows you to stay and work in Norway for an indefinite period and also provides some additional protection against being expelled.
How to apply:
Make your application in the application portal, and make an appointment with the police to submit your documents.
- Processing time and replies
If you are granted a residence permit, the police will inform you that you need a residence card. You will then have to make an appointment with the police to receive a residence card. The card shows that you have a residency permit.
If your application for a residence permit is rejected, the reasons will be explained to you in writing. You can appeal the decision.