If you are a citizen of a country that is not in the EU or EEA and have been granted a residence permit in Norway, you will be told to come to a police station to receive a Schengen residence card or have your old one renewed. This applies both if you apply for the first time and if you need to renew your current residence permit.
The residence card shows that you have a residence permit, but it cannot be used as proof of identity. If your residence permit is about to expire, you will need to apply for a renewal, not for a residence card.
Your first residence card
Make an appointment with the police
Make an appointment with the police through the application portal. Refer to the residence permit you have been granted. If you did not use the application portal to submit your application, you will have to contact the police to make an appointment.
At the police station
At the police station, your photo and fingerprints will be taken and your signature recorded. The card will then be produced and sent to your address by regular mail.
Addresses and opening hours
Find out where you can submit your application to the police
Renewal of your residence card
You will need to order a new residence card if:
- You have a permanent residence permit (previously called "settlement permit") or a permanent residence right, and your residence card or passport sticker has expired.
- Your residence card has been lost, stolen or damaged.
- The information in the card is wrong (e.g. wrong name or citizenship).
- You have received a damaged or destroyed residence card and want a replacement.
- Your passport sticker has expired.
- You cannot get a new sticker.
- You have a passport with a sticker and want to replace it with a residence card.
However, if your temporary residence permit is about to expire, you will have to apply for a renewal of the residence permit instead.
Ordering a new residence card
You can order a residence card at udi.no. At the same time, you can make an appointment with the police to take a photo for the residence card.
Residence card delivery
It may take up to ten business days from the card is ordered until you receive it by regular mail to your address. We therefore recommend waiting to book any tickets for international travel until you have received the new card.