Norway has many road traffic laws and regulations. The police will decide which of them applies in each individual situation.

The police can order you to pay a penalty charge you if you park in the wrong place, do not use your seatbelt, drive with studded tyres on your vehicle when doing so is not permitted, or drive a motorcycle without a helmet.

Go to to find the current penalty charge rates:

You may be given a fine for some road traffic violations.

Instead of prosecuting you (taking you to court), the police may issue you with an on-the-spot, fixed penalty notice if they stop you and find you have violated one or more of the traffic regulations.

Go to to find the current fixed penalty notice rates.

If you are unable to pay the whole amount straight away, contact the Norwegian National Collection Agency (SI) to arrange payment by instalment

Due to criminal conviction

You may lose your right to drive a motor vehicle for which a driving licence is required. We call this being disqualified from driving. You may be disqualified from driving if you are convicted of a criminal offence. The length of time you are disqualified will generally be determined when the court sentences you for that offence or in a penalty notice you will be sent by the police. You may be disqualified from driving permanently or for a specific period of time.

For reasons of health or ability

Changes in your health or abilities may make it unsafe for you to continue driving. The police can require you to undergo a medical examination. The police can also require you to retake all or part of your driving test. You may lose your right to drive if the medical examination shows that you no longer meet the health requirements. You will also be barred from driving if you fail the driving test.

In such cases, the police do not need your consent or a court order to revoke your driving licence. You are disqualified from driving indefinitely. You will regain your right to drive only when you meet the relevant requirements once again.

You must be of good character to be given a driving licence.

If you have a criminal record, your application for a driving licence may be refused.

In connection with some criminal offences, you may be disqualified from driving permanently or for a specific period of time. This is called a disqualification period.

You are not allowed to drive a motor vehicle for which a driving licence is required, even with L-plates and under the supervision of a qualified driver, during the period in which you are disqualified, without the consent of the police.

If the police suspect that you have committed a criminal offence that could result in the loss of your driving licence if you are convicted, a police officer may revoke your right to drive a vehicle and take away your licence on the spot.

If you have temporarily lost your right to drive, you are not entitled to drive a vehicle for which a driving licence is required. The police must ask if you consent to the confiscation of your licence. If you do not consent, the case must be put before the district court for a decision within three weeks.

You must hand your driving licence in to the police when you have been disqualified from driving.

If you disagree with the police's decision, contact the police district in which the situation arose, and submit a written appeal.

You can also ask to speak with the prosecuting attorney who is dealing with your case.

Serious traffic offences require a more severe response.

The police always prosecute those who are found to be driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or who cause traffic violations that lead to serious personal injury or death.

The punishment for serious traffic violations includes fines, terms of imprisonment, liability to pay compensation and disqualification from driving.